Saturday, February 14, 2015

Let the Sky Fall



Author: Shannon Messenger
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Year Published: 2013
Pages: 409


Vane Weston was an orphan. When he was 7 years old, his parents had died from a category-five tornado. Vane was the only survivor. Not long after, Vane was adopted. Vane could not remember anything about his past before the tornado except a brown-haired girl. This girl always appeared in his dreams but Vane could not tell if the girl was just his imagination or she really existed in reality and somehow related to his past.

As a common 17 years old teenager, Vane wanted to date and kiss a girl. So, when his best friend, Isaac, asked Vane for a double date, Vane decided to try his luck. Unfortunately, the date was disturbed by the appearance of a girl who has haunted his dreams in the restaurant. The second date was also a failure because of sudden wind that blew near Vane.

The girl from Vane's dream finally appeared before Vane after penetrating into his dream and laid unconscious in Vane's bedroom floor. The girl's name was Audra, and she brought bad news for Vane. Apparently, Vane was not a human but a Sylph--an air elemental--and he had been hidden by the Sylph guards named Gale Force from Raiden, an evil Sylph who wanted to rule the world by taking the power of the West Wind possessed only by Vane. Audra was his guardian and now she wanted Vane to learn the language of three winds: Southerly, Northerly, and Easterly, and hopefully those three winds would finally summon the last language of wind, the Westerly, to face Raiden, who also have possessed the language of three winds. But how could Vane remember how to speak Westerly while he couldn't remember anything about his past?



*******

Let the Sky Fall really blew me away!!!

I mean, fantasy--especially a young adult fantasy--have never been my cup of tea. Of course I've read some and I DO love Harry Potter, but most of them are disappointing for me. Contemporaries are much better for me. But this case is an exception.

Reading Let the Sky Fall was such an exciting moment for me. I really like Vane's voice. He's so... like common teenagers. He can be very goofy and sarcastic but on the other times can be very gentle and thoughtful. And his interaction with the cold and strict Audra is very enjoyable to read. Audra, on the other hand, reminds me of Katniss Everdeen a bit. She appears to be strong and full of confidence but deep down inside, she has a dark secret that keeps her questioning herself about her ability as a guardian. 

Sylph world is really new for me, since vampires, werewolves, mermaids, trolls, fairies and wizards are the most common fantasy creatures I found in books or movies. So, the introduction of Sylph world along with their abilities are quite refreshing. And I really imagine if I could use wind to carry me anywhere like what Audra do. I think it will be quite cool. 

The conflict the book has is also very intriguing. Of course, like many other first books of the series, the conflict hasn't reach the peak, it's more about the introduction of the background, but it has already promising the complication and makes me want to read the 2nd and 3rd books as soon as I can grab them.  

I recommend Let the Sky Fall to all fantasy lovers out there. I hope you'll enjoy the story as I do.

1 comment:

What is your thought?